Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sprig's story

In the early morning hours of Saturday, July 30, 2010 Sprig was hit by a car and left on the side of the road.  We live on 8 acres down a dirt road, Sprig lives in the house with us and has never gone near the main road.  His left hip was damaged, his right hip had a complex fracture (his pelvis was fractured in the joint and he had some bone and cartilage loss) and all the ligaments in his left knee were torn from the bones.  Our veterinarian immediately referred him to Eastern Carolina Veterinary Referral in Wilmington, NC.  ECVR is located in the Animal Emergency & Trauma Hospital operating as a surgical clinic during the day and an emergency clinic after hours.  He underwent his first surgery yesterday which consisted of mesh being wired to his pelvis to aid in the bone fusing itself back together and also had his joint rebuilt.  Dr. Williams said the post-op x rays look good and he's a fighter but only time will tell.  He is resting comfortably today with the help of Morphine.  Tomorrow it's back to the operating room where he'll have synthetic tendons screwed into his knee cap and leg bones then another day of rest before he receives his final surgery to repair his left hip.  Once the operations are complete he's facing 2-3 weeks hospitalization followed by months of rehabilitation.
Dr. Williams came very highly recommended by our veterinarian and has an extremely impressive resume.  That kind of expertise comes with a high price tag.  We are doing what we can, but we only have so many financial resources.  If anyone would like to help with Sprigs care we would be eternally grateful.  Every little bit helps.  You can call the vet directly at 910-790-1070 or use the donate button below.

THANK YOU to all who have donated! 
















Sprig's beginnings
Sprig chose me when he was just 4 weeks old.  I have been an avid duck hunter for many years and was finally ready for another retriever after losing my Bull a couple years before.  I went to look at a litter of all black labs (Bull was yellow, I wasn't quite ready for another yellow yet).  I sat down on the ground amongst these little babies rolling and playing.  Sprig left his litter mates to come check me out, immediately flopping into my lap on his back with his legs sprawled in what we now call his "hold me" pose.  Although he and his litter mates looked very similar, he was easily identifiable by his little white sprigs under his chin.  When I went back the following week, he again left his litter mates to come flop into my lap.  I knew then I wasn't choosing a puppy, he was choosing me. 



He was full of energy and eager to learn.  I started working with him retrieving wings and he couldn't get enough.  When he saw the bumpers or "Dad's toys" come out you could almost see the switch flip in his eyes.  His whole attitude changed and he was ready to work.  He was so determined, so focused, so ready to show me what he could do.



He grew into a beautiful boy, his passion for retrieving almost matching mine for hunting.  He retrieved over 100 birds including his first goose this past season.  I was so proud of him. 



Above all else he has always been a Dad's boy.  Whether I was watching TV, going to the store, going fishing, it didn't matter what it was, he had to be with me.



His 3rd birthday is Monday.  It breaks my heart that he has to spend it in the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment